Exploring Rome is a breeze with its efficient public transportation. Discover all you need to know about the Metro system, public buses, and convenient airport transfers.
Rome Metro System
Rome has three metro lines (A to C). During your city trip, you’ll likely use Line A and B most frequently. The same ticket is valid for all public transport (ATAC), including metro, trams, buses, and several regional trains. These tickets are not valid for airport transfers.
Consider these Rome Metro tickets:
- BIT Metro Ticket: Costs €1.50, valid for 100 minutes after stamping. Allows for one metro or train journey.
- Roma 24H Ticket: Costs €7, allows for unlimited travel for 24 hours after activation.
- Roma 48H / 72H Ticket: Valid for 2 days (€12.50) or 3 days (€18).
- CIS Metro Ticket: Costs €24, valid for 7 days of travel.
The Roma Pass includes metro travel and access to one or two attractions for 48 or 72 hours.
Important Metro Information:
- The metro runs every day from 5:30 am to 11:30 pm, and until 1:30 am on Saturdays.
- Children up to 10 years old travel for free with a paying adult.
- Stamp your ticket to avoid fines.
- Find a detailed map of Rome with metro stops here.
Rome Transport Guide: Airport Transfers
Rome Transport Guide: Public Buses
For tourist locations like Trastevere, far from metro stops, city buses are perfect. They use the same tickets as the metro. You can find the route planner for city buses here.
Hop-on-Hop-off Buses & Tourist Passes
Hop-on-hop-off buses are an excellent choice for sightseeing in Rome. You can pick a tourist pass that suits your needs:
- The Red Hop-on-Hop-off Buses: Nine stops with buses departing every 10 to 20 minutes. Prices: 1-day pass €26, 2-day pass €33, 3-day pass €39.
- Roma Pass: Unlimited use of ATAC public transport for 48 or 72 hours. Also includes access to one or two attractions. Prices: 48 hours €32 including 1 attraction, 72 hours €52 including 2 attractions.
Table: Rome Public Transport Ticket Prices
|BIT Metro Ticket||€1.50||100 minutes||One metro or train journey|
|Roma 24H Ticket||€7||24 hours||Unlimited travel|
|Roma 48H / 72H Ticket||€12.50 / €18||2 days / 3 days||Unlimited travel|
|CIS Metro Ticket||€24||7 days||Unlimited travel|
|The Red Hop-on-Hop-off Buses||€26 / €33 / €39||1 / 2 / 3 days||Unlimited bus travel|
|Roma Pass||€32 / €52||48 hours / 72 hours||Unlimited ATAC transport, 1 or 2 attractions|
Private Transfers: NCC Agencies
For a comfortable and seamless travel experience in Rome, consider using the services of NCC agencies (Noleggio Con Conducente), or private car hire companies with drivers. NCC agencies offer private transfers that are ideal for tourists seeking convenience and personalized services.
Whether it’s a transfer from Fiumicino or Ciampino airports to your hotel in Rome or vice versa, or a journey to a specific tourist attraction, private transfers offer the luxury of direct travel without the hassle of navigating public transport.
Moreover, these agencies also facilitate transfers from Rome to Fiumicino, Rome to Ciampino, and Rome to Civitavecchia.
If you’re heading to Fiumicino or Ciampino airports from Rome, a private transfer can ensure that you arrive relaxed and on time for your flight. Similarly, transfers from Rome to Civitavecchia can be an excellent choice for travelers catching a cruise, offering an easy and comfortable journey to the port.
Drivers are usually bilingual, professional, and punctual, ensuring a stress-free ride. NCC agencies provide various vehicle options to choose from, including luxury sedans, minibuses, or vans, catering to solo travelers, families, or larger groups.
While prices might be higher than public transport, the comfort, efficiency, and customizable service often justify the extra cost. Many agencies also offer round-the-clock service, providing flexibility regardless of your flight or tour schedule.